Saturday, August 9, 2008

Anwar is arrested and brought to Bukit Aman

The Malaysian government first said that Anwar Ibrahim was arrested under the Internal Security Act (ISA) on 20 September 1998 - the day he led the biggest demonstration in Malaysia’s history - because he was a threat to national security.

Dato Yaacob Md Amin, the Director of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), testified in the Royal Commission of Inquiry that sat from 22 February to 4 March 1999 to investigate Anwar’s beating that the decision to arrest Anwar was made one week before 20 September. He also testified that Anwar was arrested, not under the ISA, but under Section 377 of the Penal Code, and that this decision came from the AG’s Chambers’ office.

Today, we will go through Dato Yaacob’s testimony on the events the night of Anwar’s arrest.

“On 20 September 1998, at around 6.45pm, I received information from the Bukit Aman Control Centre regarding demonstrations at Masjid Negara (National Mosque) and Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square).”

“At 8.30pm, I went to the 30th floor Police Headquarters, Bukit Aman.”

“When I reached the 30th floor, there were many officers there. They were talking to each other, among themselves, in the hall.”

“I knew that the situation in KL was bad and I went to the 30th floor to give assistance, if needed. I was not instructed to go to the 30th floor.”

“When I arrived at the hall, I saw Tan Sri Rahim Noor, the former IGP, Dato Ghazali Yaacob, and other officers.”

“While I was talking to the officers present, I came to know that action to arrest Dato Seri Anwar was in progress. I knew of this fact at about 9.30pm.”

“At 10.00pm, I came to know that Dato Seri Anwar had been arrested by police officers and he would be brought back to Bukit Aman.”

“I went downstairs to the foyer because I wanted to see Dato Seri Anwar being brought in to Bukit Aman. I did not inform Tan Sri Rahim that I wanted to go downstairs. I did not inform anyone on the 30th floor that I wanted to go down to see the arrival of Dato Seri Anwar.”

“I saw the arrival of the vehicle. Dato Seri Anwar was helped out of the vehicle and was led by two police officers into the foyer. He was blindfolded. He was not handcuffed.”

“As he passed me I said something, “Treat him like a normal criminal. Why is he not handcuffed?” This statement was directed to the officers who affected the arrest.”

“The normal practice is, when a person is arrested, he would be handcuffed. It is not normal to blindfold a person who is arrested.”

“When a criminal is arrested he is handcuffed. At that time I knew that Dato Seri Anwar was arrested under Section 377 of the Penal Code which is a criminal offence.”

“He was taken straight to the lockup. I followed him from behind into the lockup area.”

“Not long after that, Dato Ramli arrived. When Dato Ramli arrived at the counter, I left the lockup. When I left the lockup area, Dato Seri Anwar was not taken into the cell yet.”

“I left the lockup and went to the CID office. There were other officers and I had general conversations with these officers. While I was talking to these officers, I got to know that Tan Sri Rahim would be visiting the lockup.”

“After I knew about this, I went to the lift and waited for Tan Sri Rahim. Shortly after that, Tan Sri Rahim came out from the lift. Tan Sri Rahim was alone at that time.”

“I received Tan Sri Rahim and he uttered, “Come!” My understanding of that is to follow him. Apart from that, he did not say anything else to me.”

Tomorrow, we will continue with Dato Yaacob’s testimony on what happened in the lockup.

No comments: